Sunday, April 18, 2010

Silk Flower & Old Shirt Necklace




On Wednesday evening, I was going through my closest and weeding through shirts that I no longer wear. I found a light-weight white shirt with rows of embroidered white ovals. I thought the material & texture was lovely, but the style of shirt was no longer "me".

I laid the shirt out flat, and with sewing scissors, I cut three strips. I made a knot at one end, and then proceeded to braid the strips together and tie a knot at the other end. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this, but I figured I'd just go with the flow.



Sure enough after work on Thursday, I thought of something - I took the braid and made a tight curve, touching two rows of braid together. I hand-stiched them together with white thread. I kept doing this, making 5 rows with the length of braid. My end result was a square of braided fabric.

On Friday I went to a local craft store and purchased some silk flowers, chain, and oval glass pearls. I cut the stems off of the flowers, arranged them as desired, and glued them on to the braided fabric using a glue gun. I added the oval glass pearls to two pieces of chain using head pins, and then stiched each piece of chain to the top corners of the braided fabric. Since I was unsure of what kind of clasp to use, I just attached a piece of cream ribbon to each end of the chain to tie in a bow. And to add a little flare, I attached an antique embelishment as the final touch.

For not having the slightest idea of what my end result would be, I thought the necklace was an experimental success. Who knew it would all start with just braiding a white shirt from my closest . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment